“How can I stop snoring?” It is a question many men and women begin asking when their sleeping partner banishes them to a separate bedroom. However, snoring can be a sign of underlying health problems. Snoring is not normal and it should be addressed with seriousness. At The Snoring Center, we treat thousands of patients each year with snoring problems. More often than not, the question we ask ourselves as board certified physicians is “why did it take so long for them to come to us?” The answer is simple.
Over-the-counter snoring treatments which claim to cure snoring are big business. And while it is true, that these methods may be effective for a handful of snorers, rarely do they address the true causes of snoring. Snoring is caused by a narrowing in the airways that makes the soft tissue of the throat vibrate. In worse cases, snoring can be a sign of sleep apnea, in which the snorer stops breathing, sometimes several hundreds of time an evening. Sleep apnea raises the risk of heart attack, diabetes, and depression. This is why it is imperative that snorers seek the advice of a physician. Unfortunately, many people turn instead to the Internet to find a miracle product to cure their snoring.
It doesn’t make sense to purchase health care or health advice online. These are just a few examples of why the purported benefits of certain snoring cures aren’t advisable:
- Anti-snoring pillows: Certain neck positions promote an expansion of the airways and these pillows support this. However, few people stay in one position for the duration of the night.
- Nasal strips: When the nasal passages narrow enough to cause snoring, a strip probably won’t be enough to abate snoring.
- Anti-snoring pills: These contain natural enzymes and that target nasal congestions. For the most part, these pills have not been clinically tested and they do not address the root cause of the snoring.
- Snoring chin straps: Designed to reposition the jaw to open the airways. While they may be effective for some, simply repositioning the jaw during sleep is not an effective solution for most snorers.
At The Snoring Center, we address the actual cause of snoring via minimally invasive, office-based procedures. In less than an hour, our board certified physicians can meet with a patient, diagnose the cause of the snoring, consult on a solution and perform the corrective procedure. Our patients can immediately return to work. And since each patient is different, we utilize a variety of advanced procedures that are quick and painless…each designed to address different physical abnormalities that cause snoring. The treatments we offer include:
- Pillar Procedure
- Coblation Turbinate Reduction
- Palate Coblation
- Laser Tonsillectomy
- Home Sleep Study
- Oral Appliances
- Snoring Surgery
Snoring is a serious problem. Treat it as such. Don’t surf the Internet looking for unproven snoring aids. Consult a physician. If you don’t have an Ear, Nose and Throat Specialist (or even if you do), call us today and start getting the rest you and your sleeping partner deserve.