Is this allergy season ever going to end? If you suffer from chronic allergies, this is probably one of your least favorite times of the year. Finding relief may seem impossible. There are prescriptions and gimmicks, but everyone seems to be chasing “natural” allergy remedies. At the Snoring Center, we have nothing against these treatments. If something as simple as a change in diet or a $5 bottle of some herb takes care of your allergies, then by all means, go for it. However, we look at long-term treatments for allergies and, of course, snoring. We take a serious, healing approach to the root causes of allergies. Try the natural remedies all you want, but if they don’t solve your problem, consider scheduling a consultation with one of our board certified physicians. But first, let’s look at “natural” allergy remedies? There are literally thousands of them. Some of them have some credence while others may be nothing more than myth or even scams. These are a few of the more common, reputable ones:
- Eat chicken instead of beef. There is some belief that the kind of monounsaturated fat found in beef and dairy can exacerbate hay fever.
- Rinse with saline to eliminate pollen. This isn’t intended to reduce the need for drugs, but it may reduce the need for drugs.
- Fish oil supplements. It is possible that fish oil supplements can lower leukotriene levels which contribute to allergic reactions.
- Butterbur. Some believe butterbur is just as effective as antihistamines. However, there is no long-term study to address long-term use.
- Wear a wide-brimmed hat and sunglasses. These two accessories can prevent pollen from getting in your eyes and causing irritation.
- Turmeric. This spice contains a natural ingredient that may act as a decongestant and reduce allergies.
- Acupuncture. Although there is no proof that acupuncture reduces allergies, it is possible that multiple treatments may be helpful to some people in addressing their allergy problems.
- Change clothes frequently. If you leave your clothes on all day, it is possible that you could be dragging pollen into your home.
- Only go outdoors at dusk. Many trees release their pollen in the morning and certain types of pollen are most prevalent during mid-day.
- Use HEPA filters. High-efficiency particulate air filters in your vacuum cleaner, HVAC system, and air purifier may reduce the amount of pollen floating in the air in your home.
- Take medicines at night. Allergy symptoms are frequently at their worst in the morning. A pre-emptive dose of medicine at night may alleviate symptoms.
- Change your car’s A/C filter. An old, dirty filter may be full of pollen.
- Try conventional medicine. Some over-the-counter remedies may offer relief for occasional allergy problems, but some physicians recommend prescription medication for constant allergies.
“Natural” allergy remedies have become more popular over the years, but as with most remedies, they do not address the physiological source of allergies. Congestion and the inability to breathe through your nose is the cause of allergies. Pollen gets into your airways and irritates the tissues causing swelling. If you suffer from allergies by day, it is probably also bothering you at night by causing, or contributing to, your snoring problem. So, what if you could increase the size of your airway? At The Snoring Center, we treat many of our patients who suffer from troublesome nasal congestion with our office-based Coblation Turbinate Reduction procedure. This simple, painless 20-minute procedure shrinks some of the soft tissue inside the nose, effectively increasing the size of the airway. Coblation Turbinate Reduction can offer years of relief from nasal congestion, pressure, and drainage. Not only does it help alleviate the effects of allergies, many of our patients (and their sleeping partners!) notice a reduction of even elimination of snoring. Coblation Turbinate Reduction is one of the few snoring treatments we offer at The Snoring Center. Our board certified physicians are experts at diagnosing the causes of snoring and treating them quickly. In fact, the entire process usually takes less than an hour. The proven treatments we offer include: • Pillar Procedure • Coblation Turbinate Reduction • Palate Coblation • RFA • Laser Tonsillectomy • Home Sleep Study • Oral Appliances • Snoring Surgery • CPAP All treatments are performed in the office and our patients can immediately return to their regular activities. So whether you suffer from allergies, snoring or sleep apnea get relief immediately. Trust proven medicine administered by conscientious, professional physicians. Call The Snoring Center today and schedule an appointment.
Get immediate relief.